UERJ was founded in 1950 and since then it has grown and established itself as one of the main higher education institutions in Brazil.
Its importance in the national and international scene is confirmed by the high quality education, the excellence of the scientific research and the hundreds of cultural projects promoted by the Institution.
As a public University, its mission is based on the principles of equality and plurality. UERJ was the precursor in the implementation of quota system as an affirmative action and an instrument for social inclusion of less favorable segments of the society in undergraduate courses.
UERJ good practices in internationalization are based on:
- Keeping up the high standards of undergraduate and graduate courses;
- Excellence and sustainability in research;
- Expanding the international mobility of undergraduate and graduate student programs;
- Implementing new double certification programs;
- Human resources training within programs of excellence for both undergraduate students and university staff;
- Establishing new research programs and projects; - Stimulating copyright and patents programs;
- Technological innovation and partnership with the industry;
- Promotion of the special developed programs: international internship program in the health area;
International research cooperation with the visiting professor program; Portuguese and Brazilian culture course for foreigners.